Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

? on DHCP and VLAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digum2K

MIS
Jan 14, 2002
US
What if I have clients in vlan 2 which need to get dhcp info off a server in vlan 1. How do I point the router in vlan 2 to hit the dhcp server for vlan 1 clients? We are tight on money, (can't afford another small server even).

Why not have the router serve up the DHCP range needed?

Use IP helper on the vlan interfaces or udp forwarding to allow the DHCP acks/naks/awks/ and whatever else they do to get across the router.

MikeS Find me at
"The trouble with giving up civil rights is that you never get them back"

Hey Norm,

Love Your site by the way, I have educated myself just by reading your def's. Will the dhcp database between the router and the main server jive?? I take it they will. Can you give me a command off a prompt to get me started (sample). I'll be doing it on a Cisco 1600R.

Thanks

Glad you like the site.. I just finished re-racking all of the equipment into a nice cover rack. Cuts the noise WAY down.. and the rack was cheap. 200 bucks :)

Anyways.. yes, the two can live together as long as you dont mix scopes(ranges)

Here is a link with everything you want to know about configuring DHCP on your 1600.

MikeS Find me at
"The trouble with giving up civil rights is that you never get them back"

What happens if you want both vlans to be on seperate layer 3 subnets as well as layer 2 vlans. How can you get the dhcp to assign a certain scope to one vlan and a certain scope to the other vlan?

of course you need a seperate subnets.just issign one interface of the router to vlan1 and the another to vlan2
and router will route the packets from vlan2 to vlan1.Be aware for properly ACL's set.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back