Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Olicom CrossFire 8720 - Cannot default unit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaganGod

MIS
Aug 13, 2003
US
A client has come across an Olicom CrossFire 8720 from the wiring closet inventory at a closed branch office. They do not have any records of what it was used for prior to it having been replaced with a 1000baseT switch. The client would like to repurpose it as a plain switch.

The unit powers up and appears to complete diags. It gets link lights when devices are connected to the ports, and shows traffic. However, it does not appear to allow DHCP traffic through, I suspect due to some Layer 3 configuration (this was a high-end switch when it was new around 1999-2000) or VLAN setup. I have tried to reset to defaults as indicated in the documentation (from the Olicom website) but it still does not appear to allow normal switching functions, and I still cannot connect via the browser interface, even when I configure my computer to a static IP in the same subnet.

I plan on getting the appropriate serial console cable later this week, but I was hoping someone here has some experience with these units and can make some suggestions.

Some more detail on defaulting unit: When I press the "Default" button, the unit turns off all lights, as I would expect it to do, and as it does on power cycle or "Reset" button press. Even if I leave the unit alone, it never lights any of the lights again until I power cycle it. I suspect it is not completeing the "Default" process. I have ensured the button is not stuck down. After power cycle, it comes up as it has since I started trying to coax it into cooperating.

UPDATE: Got unit to default using a serial cable. Everything is working now. Sorry to have jumped the gun by posting here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back