Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OLE DB & SQL Client

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwearden

MIS
Apr 19, 2002
GB
If the data source is a SQL Server database, does the clinet PC running Crystal always have to have SQl Server client installed. I'm confused because I got the impression specific dll's were adequate. We really don't want the users to have SQL client on their machines if we can get away with it.

Thanks in advance.

You shouldn't require it.

The supporting files for the OLE DB will be required, and may vary based on how the clients are running reports (clients can't run reports without some sort of software, include such info), and the version of Crystal and SQL Server.

Is it not working for you?

Try posting specifics if you have a problem.

-k

If you are connecting wth ODBC, you need the ODBC driver.
have a look in ODBC administrator, Control panel, administration tools, data sources, click on the driver tab. You should see the SQL ODBC driver, if not you'll need to install the driver either from SQL client tool instal or just MDAC. (I thing most installs of Win2k and above have it in by default). New version of MDAC (Microsoft data access) can be found on MS website
Yu'll need to know the DSN name that was used by the report to connect to the db. Database, Set location
Then create a System DSN name to talk to your db just like your developer did in Crystal.

Cheers
Fred

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back