Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Oldest in-use system you are aware of

Status
Not open for further replies.

DTDude

Technical User
Dec 4, 2011
US
Thought I'd ask more of a fun question.

A few people I know and I have "rescued" some older systems recently. Another guy and I have both obtained Western 555's recently. 2 others have "rescued" Rolm Redwoods. Another a Northern SL-1 ST and an analog beige refrigerator Mitel SX-200. There was a post on Facebook recently about someone who acquired a Rolm 8000 CBX (orange cabinet) that was in use all the way up until 2020. It must have been 40 years old or more and still in use by the original owner! Personally, I have been trying to find a working Rolm 9751 for several years.

What's the oldest system you take care of, or what's the oldest system you're aware of that's still in use? Every day I see more and more Yealink phones in the wild, but I imagine there are some quite old systems out there still chugging along that would surprise me.

I haven't been to site for a couple of years but I found an Mitel SX-10 running in a Hotel

A little further back and I highly doubt it is still in service but a Car Dealership had a 1A2 running their service desk phones. 1A2 was obsolete in the Eighties.

Not nearly as old as a Western Electric 555, I installed a Merlin Magix at my church along with a Partner ACS on standby.

My dentist had a Merlin 410 up until two years ago. [smile]

I [love2] "FEATURE 00

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back