Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Older browser rendering issues 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Queryman

Programmer
Nov 4, 2002
US
I have a website that I just updated today, I was playing with the settings where Frontpage asks for browsers versions it will run properly on. I currently have it set to 3.0 version & up for both IE & Navigator. But when I use Navigator 4.6 I can only see the page banner & it says the document is complete. Navigator 7.0 renders the whole page, but some text on the right seems scrambled. IE works perfectly. Any suggestions?
This is the website

Michael

Use a program other than Frontpage?

Just from my experience being a Netscape user is that Frontpage highly favors Microsoft's browser and writes code that _will_ break under Netscape. Whether it's intentional by Microsoft or not, this happens quite frequently out on the web.

Check your code for errors when this happens, you have an incorrect table structure.

If you cannot read pure HTML and need frontpage, then I suggest that you take the advice above and dump frontpage and start learning the code, it saves a lot of time in the long run.

<span style=&quot;text-decoration: underline; background-color: #E1E1E1&quot;>
<a href=&quot;Progresschart.pdf&quot;><font color=&quot;#000080&quot;>Progress chart</font></a>
</span></font></p>
<p style=&quot;text-align: center&quot;>
 </p>
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
</td>
</tr>

<tr>
<td class=&quot;Font8pt&quot; style

Hope this helps Wullie

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change.
The leader adjusts the sails. - John Maxwell

Thanks Wullie, I fixed that error & reloaded the web site, still the same issues with 4.6 & 7.0 version of Navigator. Renders fine in IE & Opera.

Michael

Hi mate,

<span id=&quot;mnu_EndOfForm&quot;></form></span>

There doesnt seem to be a opening form tag for this.

Also, this is a perfect example of why to avoid these editors, they fill the page full of junk that is totally redundant. Why would you ever need a span enclosing a end form tag?

Hope this helps Wullie

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change.
The leader adjusts the sails. - John Maxwell

Thanks again, fixed that, reloaded, still same issues as above.

Michael

Netscrape is very fussy about table tags <tr> <td> and <th> - make sure they are always closed and appear in the correct order.

I suggest you try putting it through the validator at and fix any errors that it raises (starting with adding an appropriate DOCTYPE to the start of the page). Valid, standard HTML (4.01 Transitional will do) is your best bet for widespread compatibility, though getting C*ntpage to produce any will be a challenge... -- Chris Hunt
Extra Connections Ltd

Just to join in the M$ FP bashing this is my particulsr favourite from a FP site,

<span style=&quot;font-size:12.0pt;font-family:Arial;
mso-fareast-font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;;color:yellow;mso-ansi-language:EN-GB;
mso-fareast-language:EN-US;mso-bidi-language:AR-SA&quot;>&nbsp;</span>

All that (100+ chars) to format a space!

I am surprised that any FP 'designed' page would make it through the validator unscathed.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?

First of all, setting any page to work on 3.0 and above is not something that you probably need to do anymore. Over 90% of all browsers in use today are 5.0+ from what I've seen on most reports.

Second, you should set compatability to where FP will work with both Netscape and IE and for versions 5 and above.

And ChrisHirst, that looks like something from Word and not FP as I've never seen FP put out something like that and I've used it for several years for base layouts.

Thanks everyone for you suggestions. I think I am going to start fresh, I started with an MS frontpage template which had a lot of MS office product info on it. I took an advanced FP class today & I think I will just do this over.

Michael

Running it on IE 5.5 I have a scroll bar on the very top frame. You should be able to adjust rows and make this go away.

Mickey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back