Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Old web addresses cannot be deleted 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hwmueller

Technical User
Jan 16, 2001
Hi

I have cleared my history folder and deleted all cookies and files from my internet options. One internet address however continues to auto write itself into the address bar when I type the first letters. Where has this address been stored and how can i delete it??

Hans

If you are using windows, they are stored in the registry @
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\TypedURLs
<cfif IsStressed(objWheeDoggy)>
<!--- 10%/hour/each day --->
<cf_objWheeDoggy BloodPressure=&quot;340%&quot;>
</cfif>

Also, it's quite possible that the URL is being stored in the index.dat file that IE uses. You'll notice that it's locked in use while Windows is running. You'll have to delete it in DOS (alternatively, can add a line to delete it at startup in autoexec.bat), or if you're running Win2K you could logon as another user and delete it from that account.

Be aware that more than one might exist on your hard drive. Make sure you only delete the ones for your account. IE will re-create the index.dat next time you open it.

~cdogg

&quot;The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.&quot;
- A. Einstein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back