Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Old, Old AutoCAD in Win7Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeHalloran

Technical User
Jul 27, 2004
US
I have to assume that Vamoushi got his problem solved somehow. thread687-1772653

Yesterday, I installed AutoCAD2000 in Win7Pro, and thought I'd recap the process for any other oldtimers like me.

I searched, and found reference to a third party solution that was reported to take ~45 minutes to start every step, but was reported to work.

I searched more, and found references to installing two Microsoft programs, first Windows virtual PC and then Windows XP Mode (both free downloads).

I got error messages about compatibility when trying to install Windows Virtual PC, either 32 bit or 64 bit, on my 64 bit W7P.

So I forgot about doing that, and just skipped ahead to installing Windows XP Mode.
... which installed a presumably updated Virtual PC as part of its process.
Without any of the drama described on the net, accepting defaults at prompts.
Then, within the XP Mode window, I just installed AutoCAD 2000 from the CD.
... with no issues other than finding the authorization codes in my original document package.

I downloaded AC2k sp1, sp2, and the graphics update into W7 space,
then pointed XP Mode to each of them in that order, and ran them.
I remember the sp install process taking forever on older machines.
Not so on an i7-5500; just a few seconds for each.

I haven't tested everything, but AC2K seems to be running OK so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back