Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Old HDD in New Box = BSOD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom11

Technical User
Feb 28, 2002
US
I'm doing a new build using the HDD, floppy, and CD from an old HP Pavilion 8660C. Originally the old PC shipped with Win 98 SE but was upgraded to Win 2000 several years ago. The OS upgrade left the machine with the ability to dual boot Win 2000 and DOS (Win 98). Before the last shutdown I ran scandisk, chkdsk/f, cleanup, defrag, and anything else I could think of to be sure everything was OK with the old drive. Upon first boot up in the new box, the dual boot menu came up as usual. Win 2000 began to load. The black screen came up with the usual B&W progress bar at the bottom. Then the Win 2000 splash screen came up with some progress and then the BSOD. I restarted the machine and selected DOS from the boot menu. It boots to DOS perfectly and the drive is accessible. This would seem to eliminate a drive failure or a data cable problem. The STOP error is 7B (INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE). I checked the Microsoft Knowledge Base and found KB 822052 which has 26 pages of possible solutions and explanations, but the problem seems to boil down to an incompatibility between the drive controller on the new motherboard (MSI K9N6PGM2) and an instruction in the Win 2000 boot sequence which is looking for the old drive controller. I have an ERD which was created before the last shutdown, and a set of emergency disks created with Partition Magic 8.

I found the following article in the FAQs under 7B errors which seems to fit, but it refers to Win XP:
"Stop 0x0000007B or INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE
WinXP can not locate the system partition or boot volume. This error may occur after repartition or upgrading of the disk controller. The boot.ini file may no longer point to the correct partitions or the hardware may not be configured properly Try the Recovery Console and use the Boofdfg command to repair the Boot.ini file. Boot from WindowsXP CD and "Repair" the Windows."

Could someone please tell me if my thinking is correct as to the cause of the problem? Would this procedure work in my situation and if so (or not) could someone please provide the correct syntax/procedure?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Its never advisable to boot a drive in a different machine. The hardware changes alone would wreak havok with it.

It was only logical that the drive would not boot correctly into Windows. DOS being a driverless OS has no problems.

Yes your best solution is to run the Windows Installation CD, and install it over itself to clear the drivers from the old installation. This should preserve your data, and installed applications.

Win2K should probably boot up then.

Had you tried it with a WinXP machine it would likely have required a repair install and a re-activation.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Vacunita...

Thanks for the quick reply. I take it that you feel that the issue IS the new drive controller, at least at this point. I assume that the Win 2000 CD will have a native controller driver which will work with the controller chip on the new motherboard. I'll give it a try.

Thanks again, Tom

The issue isn't just the new drive controller. The issue is that all of the drivers for the old server are still installed in Windows 2000. You need to get all that cleaned out and then start fresh.

One thing that I have done in the past that works well is to put the hard disk back into the old computer, then boot into Windows 2000 SAFE MODE. Once in Safe Mode, go into device manager and delete every single device listed. Do not reboot, even if prompted. Once every device is deleted shut down the PC, then move the hard drive to the new PC and boot it. It will go through several "detecting new hardware" cycles and may need a couple of extra reboots, but it usually works fine.

Alternatively you could do the reinstall/upgrade process Vacunita suggested. That takes longer, but is actually less work.

MCTS:System Center Virtual Machine Manager
MCSE:Security 2003
MCITP:Enterprise Administrator

kmcferrin,

Thanks for the good thoughts. Yes, I had thought about removing all the other drivers before I shut down, in fact I did remove the Intel video. I didn't anticipate the controller issue, though. I planned to do a Safe Mode start if I ran into problems with video, network, USB, etc. Once in Safe Mode, I thought I'd remove the offending drivers which were flagged in Device Manager and restart. Vacunita's approach will avoid all that also, I hope. Hopefully I can fill in any missing drivers from the motherboard manufacturer's web site.

Thanks again. Tom

It likely is a controller issue at this point as it was a different one in the other PC, but then all the other drivers will also cause trouble eventually.

So running the installation CD should clear everything up.

Phil AKA Vacunita
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Thanks very much Vacunita and kmcferrin.

I will do the Win 2K re-install. The main thing at this point is to get the new box running with the old drive and all programs and data intact.

Thanks again, Tom

Tom11
I know this is completely different to what the others have been saying but: building/upgrading a machine (however budget Nvidia 6100/430MCP chipset) it is really not advisable using the original ancient second hand IDE hard drive.
Two reasons:
You will be creating a bottleneck by fitting your old (much slower) IDE hard drive.
The old drive will be configured to the old motherboards chipset so you will have setup problems (as you have already experienced)

Therefore: surely it would be much better buying a new cheap OEM SATA drive, installing the operating system on that and have your current drive connected at a secondary 'backup'.
The benefits will be having a brand new 'fast' and reliable drive, with a backup, so your new system won't be slowed down.
Also
Clean install without worrying about loosing your data (although you would need to re-install programs)
Small 250gig OEM SATAII drives are dirt cheap these days, this is the best option.
Martin

On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar and sleep

I would agree with the above, not so much for the "speed" aspect but for the idea of having a backup drive in the system AND not having to overwrite your existing drive and possibly missing a piece of data and only realizing it when it's too late.

If the main point is to preserve the original 2k installation as is with data and programs, then would suggest adapting Martin's approach - clone the old drive to the new, and then perform the repair reinstall on the new drive.

If you're using a SATA drive, you'll need SATA drivers to supply to the repair. You don't have to remove previous drivers before doing the repair (in most cases you can't as systems usually don't start in safe mode either when moved like this)

Thanks VERY MUCH to wolluf, goombawaho, Martin, paparazi, and all the others who give their time and talent and contribute here to help others. All the suggestions are greatly appreciated. I expected hardware driver issues, especially since the new motherboard is generations beyond where the old drive came from, but I was also gambling on getting them resolved through MSI's site. The point was to get the new box working on the old drive in order to save programs and data. The most important data was backed up, but I felt that solving the driver issues would be easier and quicker than reinstalling over 150 programs. I never got into what the 'end game' was in this situation because I was trying to keep things brief. Once running, the plan was to add a new SATA drive and image the old drive to the new one, then pull the old drive out. Once all those issues were resolved, an OS upgrade could be done. I considered an upgrade to XP on the old machine prior to removing the old drive, but I was afraid of having to reinstall all those programs, or losing them. As it stands now, the machine will boot to Safe Mode and there are still a couple of items flagged in Device Manager, but far fewer than there were. I was able to get some of the driver issues resolved through MSI's site. MSI, by the way, has been very helpful, far more so than I would have expected. There is still a Stop error on normal boot ( 263, if I recall correctly ) which I'm hoping to track down using boot logging.
Thanks again to everyone.
Tom

Tom11 - have you actually run a repair reinstall yet?

It sounds like you are still working on the old drive as was. One point of using a new drive is the original drive is backup - you can always start again. If the repair will run (sometimes they fail after first reboot) it will leave you with a working system - ie, you're wasting effort trying to fix original in safe mode. Clone the drive & run the repair!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back