Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

old employees ndrs

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcrandell

IS-IT--Management
Jul 6, 2003
US
anyone no how to create an email account for all my x employees, where I can assign those old employee emails addresses to this mailbox, and exchange just deletes them?

dan

Dan Crandell

Just let them dump into \Badmail and setup a script to run each day to delete them.

I'm Certifiable, not certified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

You could set up a mail-enabled public folder especially for this use.

If you've deleted the AD accounts for your former users, you could then assign their smtp addresses to this public folder.

If you've only disabled the AD accounts, you could configure a forwarding rule on the AD account to forward the account's e-mail to it.

The best way I've found to handle email addresses for employees no longer here is like this:

Create a distribution list with no members.
On the exchange advanced tab, check the "hide group from exchange address lists" (If you don't have the exchange advanced tab, click on the "view" tab on the console, click Advanced Features and try it again.

Once you have done this, click on the "email addresses" tab of your new distribution list and add all of your old email addresses in there.

This way, emails that come in to these addresses go nowhere. You won't get any email piling up in the bad mail folder, and you won't tie up your email server trying to send NDR notifications out.

Other than adding the email addresses in when the employee leaves, there is no maintenance involved!

Hope this helps!!

What a complex way!
Just remove the addresses, NO NDR's ! They should always be OFF to the internet for spamreasons.
If there is no Mailbox that captures the NDR's, they will just go away.
No tricks, no worries, no scripts, just peace and quite.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

I'm not sure what you mean by "just remove the addresses". We used to make a habit of removing the email addresses and network logon when a person left.

When we did that, emails would come in to that now non-existant email address, it couldn't be delivered so it dumped it to the badmail folder.

We also have a copy of the NDR sent to the administrator in order to resend emails that just had a mis-spelled address.

We were receiving 200-300 NDR's nightly for these non-existant emails, which in turn caused our badmail folder (the default exchange folder that catches all undeliverable email) to be huge. It also caused our email server to try to return an NDR to the sender. If it happened to be a bad address, our email server makes numerous attempts to send which caused unnecessary traffic.

By using a workaround, we've eliminated all of the above problems.

Since you already removed them, that step is not needed.
Also, since you use a MDR catch to the admin, they will end up in there too, and that can get huge.
But, again, DISABLE NDR to the internet, it is useless and confirms spammers your email addresses.
How? They send to random addresses, those returning an NDR are dismissed but thos which do NOT send an NDR, exist, and then the spamming begins.
If the NDR's come from legit contacts, it is of course your duty to notify them.
Other senders (junk etc.) just block them.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
[/sub]

Okay, I'm confused as to what step is not needed. Let me back up a bit.

John Doe quits. I delete john.doe@mydomain.com - someone sends John an email. The address no longer exists so exchange dumps the email to its own badmail folder and initiates an NDR to the sender and sends a copy to the administrator.

The administrator recognizes the email as no longer valid and deletes the copy she received. The exchange server continues attempts to deliver the NDR to the sender until it is either successful in the delivery or has reached the timeout period specified.

Just deleting the email doesn't solve the problems above. Every site I've visited on this subject (including Microsoft - ) says either to make a habit of clearing the bad mail folder or create a script to do it for you.

Ok, fine, that is what i meant, you DELETE the user.
I just said, skip that step (from MY post).
SO, you delete the user, DISABLE all NDR to the internet. You do NOT need to use the Badmail at all as it fills up with useless mails anyway, as you noticed.
The admin gets the mails and deletes them or whatever else he/she chooses to do with it.
End of story, mail gone.

Marc
[/sub]

Okay, I see what you're saying. We personally want to delete our ex-users and keep the NDR's as we do use them occasionally to track. Plus, our admin doesn't have the task of having to delete the emails.

So back to the original post - there are several options of getting around the problem, it just depends on what works best for you!

Indeed several options, but if you want to use the NDR's to track, then just enable them at that point.
NDR and Out of Office are the top cause of spam in a company.

You said: "The administrator recognizes the email as no longer valid and deletes the copy she received"

So, if the mails get there, she will have to delete them anyway.

Oh, sorry - I didn't explain that clearly. That was before we set up our distribution list. With the distribution list now in place, we don't have to enable and disable NDR's when we need them, our badmail folder doesn't fill up, and she no longer gets copies of undeliverable mail for users no longer here.

The only maintenance we have now is when the user quits, in addition to deleting their profile, we add the email to the distribution list.

We personally don't have any issues with spam. We've been lucky! We get a few in to a couple of users that have joined newsletters and such, but all in all it's less than a dozen per week.

ok now I am totally confused. I have ndrs on so I can debug some distribution lists problems that are users create. So I need to see all ndrs, However I do not need to see all old employees. How do i get rid of old employee ndrs coming in to my admin account?

Dan Crandell

you cannot stop that, an NDR is an NDR, invalid email or 'old' email is the same, they are both invalid.

Marc
[/sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back