Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Old client still showing up

Status
Not open for further replies.

gunnerjoe

IS-IT--Management
Oct 22, 2005
US
Hello,

Backup server - Networker 7.6 / Win2008_64

Serverold
Servernew

We had a Win2003 server (serverold) that we rebuilt into Win2012 Server (servernew). Once rebuilt we gave it different IP and new name. I setup new client for this server in networker and the client seems to backup just fine, but I get the following error when I try to test the recovery for servernew:

" serverold is not properly configured on network server."

===========
I have deleted serverold from networker using these directions:

1. delete the client in NMC
2. stop nsr services
3. delete the client's index folder (install_dir\nsr\index\client_name)
4. clear the cache by renaming \nsr\tmp\ folder to \nsr\tmp_old_todaysdate
5. start nsr services
6. temporarily set the Autostart function on all Groups to Disabled (it is best to perform the following when NW is idle)
7. run the following commands to verify, fix and purge the index and mdb records
nsrck -L6
nsrim -X
8. set the Autostart function on groups that was changed in step 8 back to Enabled.
==============

As far as I can tell the client "serverold" is gone. BUT, in Network Management Console / Networker Administrator / Configuration / Local Host I right click client "servernew" select Configure Local Agent and on the General Tab I see Identity - Name: "serverold" and on Advanced Tab My Hostname : serverold, BUT on the System Tab Hostname: servernew

What the heck? Is it possible to edit the My Hostname on Advanced Tab?

If that is possible, the next issue is permissions in that window "No Privileges to view administration list." I have always logged into NMC with administrator, which is the networker one and only user and its been that way since I setup networker server couple years ago. Just a note that "administrator" is the networker "native console authentication," the Windows 2008 server local admin user is not called administrator.

Any Ideas on what I should do to fix client "servernew" so I can do recoveries?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Joe

I am pretty sure that renaming the client from serverold to servernew caused the problems. You are using the same clientid for both.
You could have easily left the old configuration for recoveries and just use servernew for backups.
Now you do not even have issues with the resource database but also with the media index. And this is what you cannot modify.

So how to overcome the issue? - Honestly, I don't have a straight answer but some ideas:
- Add the old server's name to the new server's alias list.
- Delete the host specific entries from the nsrladb on both sites. These will be automatically rebuilt with the next connection.
- Split the two client configurations completely.

Good luck.

Hello,

In the beginning I kept the old client and made a new client, different OS, different name and IP, but during the recoveries I was getting the errors, so thought lets delete the old client which did not help. Not sure how the Local Host got so screwed up, the two machines had different client ID's, but your idea about adding the oldserver to the "Alias" of the new server seems to have done the trick, as I can now do recoveries on the newserver.

Any ideas on the "No Privileges to view administration list?"

Thanks,

Joe

Actually I have no good idea how to solve that as 'administrator' is already listed by default.
You might want to add '*@*' to the server's 'administrator' to verify whether this will help. However, I do not really recommend to permanently use this potential 'fix'.

Hello,

The client serverold that I have tried to delete is plaguing servernew. I deleted the client with the directions in the first post, but I still see peer information for serverold. I can delete the peer information for serverold on the client and NW server but it will come back. On networker server if I look up peer info for servernew it say's there is none. On the client if I look up peer information it reports it's name as serverold.

Also, In the networker console if I look at the report "save set details by client" it shows successful backup of servernew incr backup last night, drives C:, E: and F:, but if I open the recovery console on the client it shows me those three drives but there are very few folders / files available to recover compared to the number of folders / files and shares on the server.

Any ideas on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated.

Joe

It is important that you use the FQDN when you do that - the short name will indeed not find the entry.
So the correct nsradmin command will be

. type: nsr peer information; name: <fqdn_of_peer>

Hello,

Sorry, I was using FQDN, serverold.somewhere.gov and servernew.somewhere.gov

Thanks,

Joe

The other method is to
- search your resource file tree (..\nsr\res\nsrdb) for a resource file which contains the string
- delete or rename the file
- restart the services

This will only not be the final solution if something would be taken from the media db.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back