Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Old BCM 3.0, CTM8 and Caller ID 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwulf1092

IS-IT--Management
Jan 14, 2006
US
I have a (not upgraded) BCM 3.0 system. Yes I will soon upgrade it LOL.
I have a CTM8 for my inbound lines.
I am trying to get caller id info to display on multiple sets during the inbound call.
There is no AA answering. Maiboxes answer after 4 rings if no one picks up.
The line is set to appear and ring on multiple DN's.
In programing (Unified Manager) I see that I can set a CLID set in Linexxx -Trunk/line data to a specific DN.
When I set that DN, it is the only one that sees the data during the inbound call. On other extensions I can dial F811 during the ringing and see the caller Id info, but it does not auto display during the inbound call on other sets, and is not visible unless fitting F811.

So the question is, can I get caller ID info to automatically display on multiple sets where this line is Appearing and Ringing for more than 2 rings, and where the CLID info is ava via F811.
thanks
JW

I think you go into each sets line apperance and change the CLID to yes.

Its been a while but I thought in 3.0 and previous only one set could display the CLID while ringing. 3.5 and above allows up to 30 sets to display ringing line CLID.

Cook,
Under the Set programing, in lines there is absolutely nothing for Caller ID. Under (Telco Features), there is an option to change what is displayed on the phone (First Display), and an option for (Auto Called ID), but nothing else for programming caller ID. Under (Lines - Trunk/line data) there is an option called (CLID set) where I can specify a single DN. I tried to do a range of DN's several different ways, but no joy.

Biv,
I think you will be right there is only one set allowed to show CLID info on 3.0

DIFF QUESTION, I will gladly start a new thread if required...
I am looking to upgrade as economically as possible (read cheap here).
I was told I can just replace the HDD with a 3.7 HDD, and my existing licenses will reinstall without the need to buy a migration keycode (The sys ID stays the same in this scenario). And I can easily reprogram the system from the ground up myself if need be, including loading the MSC card onto a new HDD.

Can anyone tell me if this is correct? IF I do this(install new 3.7 HDD) will my licenses migrate without having to purchase a keycode or anything else except the HDD. I am told that it will, since I am not upgrading to 4.0 which is the Linux version of BCM. I jsut want to verify this with the tek-tips experts before I go this route and find out that i didn't do enough due diligence. LOL
Thanks for all your time and assistance.
JW

You can swap a 3.7 HDD into the system and use your existing keycodes but you'll have to reprogram the voicemail. Phone programming should be unaffected, but document it anyway. There is no way to restore a 3.0 backup to a 3.7 system. If you want to retain the database you'd have to purchase an upgrade keycode and go that way. I think 3.0 to 3.7 is a two step upgrade- 3.0 to 3.6 then 3.6 to 3.7. Haven't done an upgrade from 3.0 in a few years.

Biv,
If I understand things right, and I am not sure at all that I do, the need to upgrade in a two step process (3.0 to 3.6 then to 3.7)is just to save client data right? Since I have ALL programming already written down, and I truly don't care about redoing the programming from the ground up on a "new" system, including redoing the VM, this means that I don't REALLY need to do the 2 step process right? Or am I wrong and I still would have to do this in steps?
If phone programming is not affected by a HDD swap, where does the phone programming reside??? Is this on the MSC card?

When you say "If I want to retain the database" I assume you mean the database of programing and client data correct? Not the database of keycodes, correct? I have all keycodes written down, and I assume that I can just reinstall them into the new 3.7 system once it is up and running.
Thanks again!
JW

Correct. If you plan on rebuilding the voicemail you can just throw in a 3.7 drive, run the platform initialization (set the date to something before January 2006 or have the 3.7 SSL certificate fix utility handy), set the IP address, load keycodes and rebuild the voicemail. The telephony programming shouldn't be affected.

Biv,
AWESOME job answering my Q's thanks!!!
So does telephone programming reside on the MSC card then?
What about new options that are now available with the 3.7 upgrade, such as multiple extensions displaying CLID info. Will the new release of software just write new data to the MSC card for the new options?
JW

Yes, those options will be present after you upgrade. All phone programming stays on the MSC card. I'd still document the phone programming to be safe but it should remain. Downgrading a MSC will almost always wipe the telephony programming however.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back