Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Old BCM 1000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 2, 2010
US
I ran into a client that has BCM 1000's in their 8 salon stores. The Telco sold them these over 10 years ago.

Most are doing ok but one of them they can no longer logon to via the BCM Manager web program.

Their VM is off line as is the AA.

These seem to have an older style enclosure that looks more like a metal P.C. box rather than the BCM-50 plastic clam shell design that I have worked on.

I have never worked on a 1000.

I tried to logon via the teleset but could not.

Is the 1000 the same but larger than the 50?

Any idea what may be going on. Bad HD etc?

Nate
The 1000 is a completely different beasty than the 50.
Right off the bat I would suspect the hard drive.

Rick

That is what I thought. This new customer said that over the period of a few weeks the system kept locking up and they had to keep resetting it again and again. Then the VM went out.

Does the log on via the BCM Manager program use the hard drive as a means to program the system?

Would you suggest a repair or maybe it is time to replace it?

The telephoney portion is still operating but they can not change any features or DN's because they can not log on.

I am a MICS man myself and I have only worked on the BCM50 so far.

The BCM 1000 was called the Enterprise Edge when Nortel first released it. Then they changed the name to BCM 1000, then redesigned it to the BCM 400 and now the BCM 450.

I wouldn't bother replacing parts, just replace the system. You might even be able to reuse cards.

Thanks for the history. This customer thought that he was over sold on these systems from the local Telco since most of his stores are small.

They have two other BM 1000 control units that they have in storage from two stores that they closed.

Are the parts interchangeable ie can I move the HD over or should I just see if the spares work and just reinstall the spare and reconfigure who whole system. they only have 7 lines and 12 stations so it is not to large.

You might want to just use the spare systems since tinkering with those old systems you're asking for it.

Just boot up those spares first, put a couple of phones on them with mailboxes. Let them run for a few days just to see if they stay up, especially the voicemail side of it.

That is of course the cheapest alternative.

Seeing that they only have 7 lines with 12 stations, a BCM 50 with an 8x16 expansion module would be perfect.

Thanks. BTW there was this strange oval module on the top of the cabinet that did say Nortel. Is that the CP or is CP internal?

I have never seen a module that looks like that it is as large at the top of the cabinet itself and it has feet on it.

I have a pic of it but I don;t know how to post the pic on this reply.

The hard drive could be bad. I would move the MSC card over to one of the boxes that are in storage and reprogram the voicemail.
All your telephony should come over with the msc card as well as the keycodes.

The capacitors only apply to BCM400, not the 1000.

By your description, the HD is toast.

If the customer has a spare system lying around, just do as gsxr1000 says and move the MSC card over. Programming may or may not carry over depending on the small battery but since it's such a small config, reprogramming shouldn't take long.

Bottom line here is that drive is done. We've come accross this hundreds of times in this forum and your symptoms are classic HD failure.

BTW, I doubt that they were oversold. Back then, that was the only system available outside of Nortars. The 200, 400, 50 etc all cane later.

You haven't stated what software version your BCM 1000 is?. I'm guessing it's either a 2.x or a 3.x which ran on Microsoft's NT operating system.

This version of software was always prone to losing it's IP link, yet the phones and trunks worked fine. I always had to do a reboot in order to restore the IP access onto the BCM system via the web browser.

You could try re imaging the disk using a good program.

All the best

Firebird Scrambler
Meridian 1 / Succession and BCM / Norstar Programmer in the UK

If it's working, then leave it alone!.

I have not gotten on it yet because I told the customer to see if there two spares are working. They have rebooted several times.

I told them I did not want to start racking up billable hours on a system that is that old and might not even be working.

How hard is it to relink the IP and re image?

I've done some guides on BCM Imaging for a later release, but the method is almost the same.

All the best

Firebird Scrambler
Meridian 1 / Succession and BCM / Norstar Programmer in the UK

If it's working, then leave it alone!.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back