Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Old 50 pin ide drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

lbarron

Technical User
Jan 22, 2002
GB
Hi,

We have a very old laptop containing some important data which has broken.

I have removed the hard drive only to find it is a 3.5" drive with a 50 pin ide connector on!

Has anyone got any ideas where I can get an adapter to convert it to 40 pin ide or how to connect this drive so I can copy the data from it?

Thanks

Lee

Do a google search for "hard drive adapter". The first 2 pages will have mostly sellers.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Are you sure it's not a SCSI drive? Never heard of a 50-pin IDE...

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Suspect that it is the 40 + 6 connection with a couple of missing pins that would make it 50, like the 2" drives.
But without a picture, who knows?

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Thanks for all your help.

Before the post re the pinout I had already sent the drive away to a recovery firm.

Fingers crossed they will be able to get the data from the drive.

Thanks

Lee

Fingers crossed they will be able to get the data from the drive.

Of course they will. They already have an adapter or will make one. Think positive!

Oh, and not to pour salt on the wound, but take this as a learning experience about the value of regular backups to multiple sources. has a free 2GB online backup service that makes a good addition to multiple external drives and regularly spooling off DVDs of critical data.

Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back