Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Old 13 cabinet ? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

The02KID

Vendor
Jul 15, 2010
US
I need to replace 4 batteries which are attached to my old 13 cabinet. can I do this live.

Are these attached batteries in a separate UPS? If so do you have a manufacturer and model number? Some UPS units you can, some you cannot. For safetys sake, it's always better to shut down if you can.

There should have been a battery disconnect put in between the QCA13 rectifier and the batteries. This is the very reason for the disconnect is to isolate the batteries for maintenance. If there is not one you can probably still do it without issue, it will cause an alarm condition but that should go away after the string is reconnected. There may also be a sense lead tied to the string of batteries, make sure you hook that back up. I have worked DC hot a lot of times without issue, but if your uncomfortable at all then by all means power it down.

I have done many batt string cut overs hot. Are you floating the batteries on rectifiers? Depending on the complexity of the system/hook up you may want to approach it differently. First note if it's a -48V or a +24 volt string as that will dictate which lead goes off first or on last. On a + system it's a good practice to hook the + side up last in case there is a heavy load coming from the charger/rectifier. If the system has a battery disco switch on it - then your life is much easier of course, just throw the switch and swap. In some cases we have paralleled a temp string to get the new batt's in place then pull out the temp string. Just think it trough, lay out a good plan and have all the tools and safety gear handy. DO NOT forget having a good spill kit and gloves/aprons/boots for everybody - GEL cells are not much of a concern, but watch the weight. When you make the final connection expect there to be some sparking/arcing going on and be ready to have the connections made. (2 people helps in some cases). Also before you connect any posts - smear them all down with a good coating of no-ox and include your terminals and hardware. It will save you many headaches later.....GOOD LUCK!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back