Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OLAP vs. Analysis Services

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobRock

Programmer
Oct 17, 2001
US
We will soon have a new server up and running with SQL 2000 and Analysis Services.
The server we are currently using has SQL 7 and OLAP on it along with all of our current databases. My question is, will the switch go smoothly from OLAP to AS when we bring up this new server? At the same time, will the transition of SQL 2000 go well? Will we need to do anything to the current databases so we don't lose months of work in OLAP?
Thanks for any comments in advance.

Hi people.

I made this trasition in a company I work and everything went smoothly. the only thing I need to do was:

- Make backups of the OLAP Databases.
- Install the servers
- Restore the backups

In that process even the roles worked fine. So I don´t think that anyone of you will have problems migrating from OLAP to Analysis Server. But the ideal during the transition is create the new server install and test before put the order down.

Hope I could help you.

Wagner

Does Anybody know if I can run Analysis Services on top of SQL7.0????

Yes, you can. I have same situation without any problem

Actually I found some problems...
I am speaking about Analysis Services 2000 SP2

1. Partition EstimatedSize is always 0 (when you check this property via DSO) It can affect when you have programmed incremental update and partitions merging operations (but is a strange thing that in OLAP 2000 you can merge empty partitions, it is not written in some place but I tried this and it worked...)

2. In MDX query some syntax is changed its behaviour - you cannot use double brackets in slicer when you have more than one member in your slicer :

Next query will be OK with a strange error:
SELECT NON EMPTY { [TimeDimension].[2001]} ON ROWS, NON EMPTY {.[SECTION].members } ON COLUMNS FRO.../img] [URL unfurl="true"]http://softwatch.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back