Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OL2000 default mapi settings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

psudeke

IS-IT--Management
Aug 30, 2001
US
This is kind of a complicated one, basically because of my setup. First of all, on my PC I have Office 97, Office 2000, ccMail 6 and ccMail 8 installed (I think one of these is the culprate, however I could fill this message with all the apps and versions on this PC) running on a Win98 platform. Anyway, we recently rolled over to using Outlook 2000 on an Exchange 2000 server from ccMail. With OL set as my default email client, mailto: hyperlinks work as expected. However, the File, Send to...Mail recipient does not. It still wants to invoke ccMail. I've checked the Mapi registry settings and they point to Mapi32.dll or Mapivi32.dll as they are supposed to, I've modified my win.ini file to make sure its pointing to the correct mapi files. I reinstalled and reregistered both OL and Office as a whole. I've removed the VIM.dll file from the Windows\System folder and its references from the Registry. I've tried, although unsuccessfully to reregisted the Mapi32.dll files, and I'm fresh out of things to try. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

How did you set up Outlook as your default mail client?

Thru the Internet Options in the control panel

Well, that should work! Before you try what I am going to suggets, have a look in the Windows->Send To directory and make sure this does not already exist.

Although this is not a direct fix for your problem, it should work around it.

Send To uses a file called Sendmail.exe (funnily enough).

1. In Microsoft Windows Explorer, double-click to open the Windows\SendTo folder.

2. Right-click and point to New on the shortcut menu, and then click Shortcut.

3. Browse to the Outlook.exe file.

4. Type a space followed by /c ipm.note following the last character on the command line, for example:
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Outlook.exe" /c ipm.note

Note that the /c switch is outside the command line quotation marks.

5. Click Next.

6. Type Mail Recipient Using Outlook in the Select a name for the shortcut box, and then click Finish.

If that does not work, try this command line instead:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\SENDFILE.EXE"

(you need to make sure that the sendfile file exists of course!)

If THAT does not work, you may want to remove cc:Mail and then reinstall it, so that it comes in AFTER Outlook as far as installation is concerned.

Thanks, yeah that didn't work. Unfortunately I can't uninstall/reinstall ccMail right now. I wish I could just get rid of it, our clients don't use it, we don't use, but hey, thats corperate politics for you. Thanks for your help

One final thought. Try this command line instead:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OUTLOOK.EXE" -c IPM.Note /m "%1"

Otherwise, sorry, I canna think of no more cap'n.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back