Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OL XP - autocomplete no more working

Status
Not open for further replies.

MakeItSo

Programmer
Oct 21, 2003
DE
Hi friends,

I am having a most peculiar problem here:
Since we are having lots of customers with occasionally alternating contact persons, we seldom store any of them in the "Contacts" let alone the "Global Contacts" folder. For us, the autocomplete feature is usually sufficient in these cases.
One of my colleagues recently came to me, telling me that the e-mail address of one of his contacts changed, but the autocomplete entry remained the old one.
No problem, thought I, grabbed the NK2 file, searched for the affected e-mail address and simply replaced the clear-text e-mail address with the new one...

Now his autocomplete function does not work anymore. It will partially work late in the day, when there are several in the cache; but obviously Outlook does not look up addresses from the NK2 anymore, only from its cache.

Does any of you have an idea what is wrong here? How can I fix it?
If not: if I create a new profile, will I be able to somehow copy over the "old" NK2 entries?

Thanks in advance!

Andy

[navy]"We had to turn off that service to comply with the CDA Bill."[/navy]
- The Bastard Operator From Hell

I have meanwhile created a new profile.
I was able to secure the old profile's autocomplete entries with the help of "NK2CSV", a small freeware application which allows you to open a NK2 file and export the entries as CSV:

Just in case someone else stumbles across a similar problem.

P.S: After opening the affected NK2 in that application, I knew why it didn't work anymore: "corrupt" does not quite hit it...
[tongue]

[navy]"We had to turn off that service to comply with the CDA Bill."[/navy]
- The Bastard Operator From Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back