Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OK ... Safe Mode...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kjonnnn

IS-IT--Management
Jul 14, 2000
US
What the key to hold to come up in Safe Mode.

Unless it is Windows 98 or ME, then its CTRL =)

Noisome

<-- Safe mode? Does that mean the nukes aren't gonna fly? -->

F8 will woek in all Windows 9X and ME, Ctrl only works in 98 and ME All things are possible except skiing through a revolving door.

You come try F8 on these Windows 98 computers then =)

F8 just does nothing. F5 bypasses startup files. CTRL is what brings them up over here.

Noisome

<-- Can't we set a standard and break it again? -->

On startup you can press F5 to load into Safe Mode. You can also use F8, then choose Safe Mode in the menu. --Sapient2003 - sapient@sapient2003.com
&quot;The worst insecurity is beleiving you are too secure.&quot;

That's strange Noisome because microsoft has it on their Technet site. They plainly state use F5 or F8 for safe mode. F8 is the most common key I've used. I guess microsoft is wrong.

Read it all you want, try CTRL. Despite what they say, search some more as well. I use CTRL for 98 and ME and F8 for others. If I'm wrong, Microsoft clearly labelled their programs that my school has as defects and are only for sale to colleges around the world. Or maybe IBM uses 88 key piano board and labeled their F8 key with CTRL by mistake. Either which way, everyone presses CTRL to get the Menu for safe mode or command prompt, or whichever else is listed. Perhaps maybe I need to find the refurbished website for Microsoft CDs or IBM Keyboards and complain.

But wait, why does the CTRL work at my home too?

BTW, here is something of interest to prove my point..

Noisome

<-- Proof is only a step away. Too bad intelligence is a leap for some. -->

wf71
Have you shut it down and restarted? That should remove it from safe mode and startup in normal mode.
Oh by the way I use F8 to get to safe mode on my winME system also folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back