Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ok, i am sick of this happening!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kb0ogt

IS-IT--Management
Jul 20, 2001
US
about once a week our citrix servers go out to lunch. As in when a user tries to fire up a published app, they get the error, "can not find published app, Citrix server not found"

There is nothing wrong with the servers. it is up, i can ping them, remote to them and do anthing on them even fire up the Management Console and see who is logged on.

The servers are not loadbalanced, it is not a license issue plenty of licenses out there. There is absoutly nothing logged in event viewer. It is acting like there are not published apps out there.

here is the kicker. We do nothing and in 15-20 the problem goes away!!! what the hell!!! We have looked at the router logs and nothing out of the ordinary.

Does anybody know what is causing this most annoying problem or give us some ideas on how to fix it???????

Edit: Both servers are 1.8 and have been in production for many years with no problems. this started about a month ago.

Hi,

Any relevant messages in the Event Viewer.

Cheers,
Carl.

Are the server's resources normal while this is happening (is it locking up)? Could it be a hardware problem like bad memory or ethernet or something? Have you published any apps recently that could have bugs or memory leaks

We don't have a very big farm (it's really just the desktop with a couple published apps), but I've had careless users (including the company senior partners, who should know better and get mad when you restrict their accounts)do fun stuff like install those great free (spyware laden) screensavers and weatherbug(!), so the server would go nuts whenever they logged on (although that made it easy to figure who the culprit was).

"I would rather have a free bottle in front of me, than a pre-frontal lobotomy..."

-Shrubble

nope nothing at all in event viewer on either server

no, no new published apps, the apps that we have published are the same ones that have been installed for atleast two years.

What changed? Have you installed any patch or driver update??

Do your users have the ability to install applications?

Disable the screensavers and backgrounds.

Or do not publish the desktop, just the apps.

Otherwise have the execs support the system. LOL. [evil]

Could be your TSLicensing, that usually takes about that time to re-issue a new license to your users. Do a searh on how to delete licenses on these forums, that "could" be the issue. Even if you have enough licensing, this problem can still occur.

I had this start happening to me all of a sudden. It turned out to be the nightly backup. It was supposed to be running at 1 a.m., but something happened with another server in the backup job that was causing the backup of the terminal servers to kickoff at 9:15 a.m. This happened for about 2 weeks before I finally cornered the admin that handles the backups and told him something is definately wrong with the backup process. I finally realized it was the backup because the process for it was running. this coincided with users not being able to open a published app until the backup finished 20 minutes later.

Ha! Nice trouble shooting skills. I hate when something like that happens that has nothing to do with the server itself...

One time we kept having our servers go to backup power at around the same time each morning and we had no idea why. We called the power company to check the circuit and they said circuit was clean. Turned out that some lady kept running her space heater every morning and her plug was on the same circuit as the servers, and the space heater kept overheating so it shut the circuit down. Suffice to say no one can have a space heater now...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back