Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ok how can I permanently delete a device from my device manager???

Status
Not open for further replies.

silvertechs

Technical User
Apr 8, 2003
US
Im running Windows XP home edition full

In the device manager one thing in particular is really bugging me.

1) I have a Yamaha CD burner installed but right above shows a device that is also a CD burner AXV CD/DVD-ROM SCSI cdrom device...

that I have never installed and quite frankly doens't exist in my system and never did. Everytime I try and uninstall this device and reboot Windows XP it propmtly
re-finds it and reinstalls it for me.

What can I do???

thanks
JD

This is a virtual drive - not a real one. Have you checked in My Computer to see if it is there as another drive letter? If so, can you access it? If you can't (and I doubt if you can) then the choices are either to find what driver is causing XP to install it (probably some kind of double recognition of the Yamaha) and remove that driver - although that's not very useful as you would also lose your real drive. Or, probably what I would do, in device manager under the device properties, check the box 'Disable in this hardware profile'. This will cause a red cross to appear behind the device and at least you would have the peace of mind that no extra drivers are being loaded (not perfect, I know, as you will still see it!)

Kim Leece.

I see add or remove programs but not add or remove hardware?

I would really like to delete these bogus hardware items that are not installed on my system, and I currently have them disabled...

thanks for all suggestions thus written.

Just uninstall it, using the option from the Device Mgr. Last week I fixed a similar or worse problem, the Hardware Wizard tried to install a long gone modem on each boot up.

There are some mysteries in Windows that even Microsoft can't explain, that is at least my impression.
"Workaround" in knowledgebase articles seems to be their term.

You're not alone,

TomCologne

You can uninstall from Device Manager, but if it is a virutal drive:

1. You may want to keep it. It is a piece of software that is emulating a DVD drive for you. This would allow you, for example, to watch a movie that would neither fit nor play on your real CD drive. It can be used to mount a virtual CD for copying purposes. It can be extremely useful, that is why it was likely installed by either your burning software or your media player (not Windows Media Player).

2. To remove it you can uninstall in device manager, but it will re-appear if you do not find the device driver in Windows\System32\Drivers. My memory here is a little imperfect but I think that device name is the one used by the burning software alcohol 120. You have the option in most of these burning software packages to remove the virtual drive, read your burning software manual. In the by-hand alternative, right click the drive in Device Manager and get the details of the device driver. Do not remove the native windows drivers, you need to do a listing to discover the device driver name that does not have a Microsoft brand as the device driver Manufacturer. Then do a search for the device driver, RENAME it to something other than .sys (you may need it again), and reboot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back