Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Offsite storage media management

Status
Not open for further replies.

muranimo

Technical User
Mar 19, 2004
US
What are some you using to management your storage media as it moves from library to drives to offsite facilities? We have been using a "home-grown" Access database which has worked fine, but we have over grown it. We also want to implement a scanner to make the process more efficient. We also want don't want to blow the budget. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

I have not looked into it but I think BAB 11.0 has media management which can be used for tracking tapes going off site. I can check it when I get back into the office.

The barcode will match up to the serial number so a media report will help in tracking the tapes.

My previous entry is not very clear. I was thinking this was the ARCserve forum. BAB is Computer Associates BrightStor ARCserve Backup program. When used with a tape library that supports barcodes, the barcode will automatically be assigned to the tape as a serial number. A media report will list all the tapes and their serial number along with other details. The media management can be used for tracking the location of tapes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back