Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Offsite/Disaster Recovery options

Status
Not open for further replies.

withanh

IS-IT--Management
Dec 17, 2008
US
We're pretty solid on our daily backups due to Veeam v4 :) But we're now looking at options for doing monthly or quarterly offsite backups for disaster recovery.

I'm curious to know what everyone is doing. We have about 4TiB of data to take offsite, I'm thinking there are 3 options, physical disk, tape, copy over WAN. Who is doing what, why did you choose that, and what other options did you consider.

Thanks everyone!

What media are you currently backing up to and what are your DR requirements? For instance, you'll need to know your RTO (Recovery Time Objective and your RPO (Recovery Point Objective) in order to make a quality decision.

Offsite storage over the wire can be quite expensive given the size of your data. There are providers that will charge for disk space and bandwidth, so you'll need to find that out before considering it. There are many option so just do an internet search for offsite backup storage.

I have a lot of clients that use companies such as Iron Mountain or DataLok to pick up their media for offsite storage. and really offsets the cost for offsite sotrage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back