Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Offset Left Shortens Form Width

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebuddha

IS-IT--Management
Oct 21, 2003
US
I am having problems alligning a form using the long edge offset left sequence. I can get the form alligned properly on the left, but when I move the data left, it is then too short on the right. So if I for example, using the long edge offset left, move the column 2 to the left, where I was once printing all the way to column 80 on the right, it now will only print to column 78. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Erick

I'm afraid that that is the way it is. Consider that you have a window that we call the printable area on the page.
If you apply a sheet offset command, it simply shifts the window to the left or right as specified. What you gain on one side you lose on the other.

Keep in mind that there is an absolute clip limit on each side and if you shift the window too far to the left, for example, characters to the left of the absolute clip limit will disappear.

You may be able to cheat. Lets say that your offset command was <esc>&l-60U. Now somewhere in the middle of the line you could put <ecs>&l0U to shift it back to neutral, or even <esc>&l60U to get some extra on the right as well.

This would mean that you would have to put the offset commands on every line you are printing on. Hopefully, there is a convenient place to insert the second offset command. If you pay attention and plan ahead you can minimize the work.

Jim Asman

Isn't the non-printable area 1/4" on all sides? For some reason I am not getting that 1/4" on the left. Here is the PCL broken down by command for readability:

ecE
ec&l2A
ec&l0O
ec&l9.6C
ec&l0E
ec&l2H
ec&l0L
ec&l-245Z
ec&a0L
ec&l0U

The code as you show it has NO left offset and a vertical offset to push the window UP about 1/3 of an inch.

The "normal" margin on letter size paper is 1/4 inch left
and right. The absolute clip limit is about 1/6 inch left and right. So the practical limit of the sheet offset is the difference between the standard margin and the absolute clip limit, about 1/12 inch.

If you are seeing more than 1/4 inch on the left using the above code, I can only assume that the application data is putting spaces on the left.

What model of printer are you using?

Jim Asman

You are correct, there is no offset left in there, but after further inspection it is our application. We are running a billing system on an Alpha server running OpenVMS (which is where I am manipulating the PCL), and after outputing the data to a file it is padding 2 spaces on the front of each line. This appears to be a limitation of our application as it sees the third space as "column 1" and doesn't allow the input of a column 0. I am currently coding around this issue, but I appreciate your quick responses.

Best Regards,

Erick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back