Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Offline files sync error

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeyTech

Programmer
Nov 14, 2000
KR
Hi,

I'm working with a laptop (XP SP2) which is connected to a Domain and has one of our server's (Win2003 server) shared folders sync'd to the laptop.

Recently, it hasnt been sync'ing properly, and giving the error "Unable to merge offline changes on \\server_name\share_name. The parameter is incorrect." According to Microsoft's article, there is a possible corruption in the CDC database (
If I check the size of the shared folder on the server while ONLINE, it's about 8GB. If I check it while OFFLINE, it's about 11GB. About 1500 files are not sync'd, and will not sync. So 4gigs are on the laptop and not server. If I follow the instructions in the MS article, it looks like I will lose the 4GB. Am I right in saying this? Will the same thing happen if I untick 'make available offline'?

Is there any way to save these files? I can view the files using the Sync manager, and can see the ones where 'only local copy exists', but cant copy them because "Operation can only be completed when connected", but connected or not it doesn't work... I can't view the windows\CDC Cache folder, it says it's 0 bytes in size.

Hope that's enough info!! Thanks for reading...

Jay~

My Tae Kwon Do website is still up and running!!

~KeyTech

This is probably a bit late but can you copy the files from the offline folder into a local folder before you delete the offline files folder. Of course you are then stuck trying to merge the directories but you atleast have not lost that data. You might be able to use the modified date to select the newer version off the laptop.

JGiacobbe
MCSE, CCNA

I have a laptop that hasnt been sync'ing properly with our Windows 2003 server. The user made a change to one file while he was offline and then tried to syncronize when he got back into the office and received the error "Unable to merge offline changes on \\server_name\share_name. The parameter is incorrect." I have tried all 3 options that are included in the Microsoft article, the changes to the registry but synchronization manager insists there is still a problem. We even deleted the file from the server and from the sync viewer but it still thinks its there. Can anyone give me some ideas on what to try next?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back