Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

offline files and folders mappings not working with KIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 19, 2002
GB
when users login via kix script they get their network drives ok

when they mark certain files for offline use and then switch off, disconnect the network lead and log backin again etc they do not get the network drive containing the offline file (ie mapping itself in windows explorer)

the shortcut offline icon reveals the offlines files with no problem and actually manually mapping the network drive works fine.

have repeated the above scenario using normal NT script (ie "net use" commands instead of kix's "use" command for drive mappings) and it works fine

so to summarise the problem is that during offline use eg at home with the user logging as if they were in the office the network drives fail to map themselves unless NT logging script was first used

does anyone know why this is and is there a fix. We don't want to use NT scripting as we find it flakey and kix scripting more solid

(win2000 backed with XP clients)

thanks

"Work to live, don't live to work"

"The problem with troubleshooting is that sometimes it shoots back"

Did you find any solution for this?
I'm having the same problem...

Br David Sweden

yes after spending days on this it turned out to be the kix scripting that was the cause ie it uses "Use" instead on NT's "Net use" and offline files/folders then doesn't work

so replaced "use" with

shell "net use........." and it worked really

see kix docs on full syntax

Doesn't this get the same result as "USE X: \\server\share /PERSISTENT?

Br David

yes and no

mapping syntax
1. Kix = "use ..." (not sure if "persistent" is support in KIX)
2. NT = "net use ..."

however the issue was offline folders not appearing in windows explorer when in offline mode (ie network lead disconnected) when "1." was being used

But offline folders appeared ok with "2.", but you could not use this syntax with kix

so the fix was to embedd NT syntax into Kix as follows

3. shell "net use...."

result being that I got to keep my kix script which is more reliable that plain NT script and make offline files and folders work in offline mode

I've tested it and it works perfect!!

almost :)

Do you know if there's some way the run this command silent?
I don't want the message that the driver is connected (once per mapping)to appear during logon. I didn't get this message when I connected the drives with the Kix command USE. only when I use--->
shell "net use x: \xx\yyy"

Thanks for the help so far, it was perfect / Br David

@echo off

normally does the trick when used in the .cmd file that calls the kix script

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back