Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Offline database editing... any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

marmablue

Technical User
Dec 27, 2001
GB
Hi, I run my own site which uses PHP script and a MySQL database. Unfortunately, it's not hosted on my own computer, so I can't edit the database directly. However, I can download the database and upload information to it by running SQL queries.

My question is this: to save time, I'd like to be able to access my database offline. Is there any program available that will run a big list of SQL queries and build a database from them... and then let me edit it... and once I have finished, produce a list of SQL queries with which I can then use on my online database to implement the changes?

I have tried fiddling with MS Access 2002, but it seems to have a list of about a thousand problems with my SQL code (all of which is correct, it's a direct dump of my database).

You'll have to excuse my lack of knowledge on the subject I'm afraid, but this seemed to be the best place to ask.

Thanks in advance,
Moon Shadow
aka Ian Renton

Check out the replication facility on MySQL - this will make both your databases sync up when you are online.
Failing that, you can dump table structure and data to a file and load into your local database.

I think I saw on Devshed.com a script to copy databases form one plcae to another as well. ***************************************
Party on, dudes!
[cannon]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back