Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

offline backup w/isinteg, gives DS_E_INSUFFICIENT_ACCESS_RIGHTS

Status
Not open for further replies.

POSAPAY

IS-IT--Management
Jul 27, 2001
HU
Hi,
I have done offline backup - recoveries before, but this time I'm stuck.

I have 4 directories backed up:
Dsadata, imcdata, Mdbdata, mtadata from a june 2001 on a cd.

I got a new box, installed NT, with the name that Exchange box use to have, but new IP.
installed exchange, and after adding all the service packs,
winNT4 (sp6a)
Exchange5.5(sp4)
installed the internet service connector on Exchange.
The organization and site name are the same(I think)as before.

Shut down the services on Exchange, replaced the four directories, because of the CD, I had to manually take the READ ONLY off of all the files.

in command prompt, went to the D:\exchsrvr\bin
typed: isinteg -patch

and it came up with:
private store could not be updated. Reason : DS_E_INSUFFICIENT_ACCESS_RIGHTS

what are my options on recovering the data in those files? is there any program that can read the pri.edb.. so maybe manually I can recover data?

PLEASE HELP!
thanx
-Peter

You need the directory running. Isinteg -patch should only be run after you try to start services and get the -1011. Dan
Microsoft Exchange Support @ Microsoft

I have the directory services running, and then ran the isinteg -patch. but it still comes up with that error. :(
-peter

Hi, Thanx!
That did the trick!
restoring only the priv and pub databases, and not the dir.
I went through eseutil checking, and that caught most of the problems I think. and then later ran the isinteg, and after that the DS/IS consistency adjuster.
after that everything works, but I did have to reassign accounts to each mailbox, but I was able to recover the data from them.
in a way, this seems to me as a backdoor once anyone gets their hands on the priv database, they can actually read the data back if they wish like this.
I have almost given up.. when to my amazment this worked!
Thanx again!!
-Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back