Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OfficeJet 710 prints only bottom half of words

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich13

Vendor
Dec 21, 2004
US
Hi folks. I've got an HP OfficeJet 710 connected to my Dell Dimension running XP.

This printer hasn't been used much in months. When I tried it recently, it printed nothing on the page -- almost like I was using white ink.

I replaced the black cartridge and cleaned all of the copper parts and rollers. I also ran a commercial sheet of alcohol(?) soaked felt through the printer. Now I get printouts that only show the bottom half of each line. I cleaned the cartridges using the HP toolbox feature three times. Still no luck. BTW, I could not get the HP toolbox to "align" the cartridges, and there is no onboard feature for aligning the cartridges. I'm wondering if I have an alignment problem.

I'd like to use the 710 just for sending/receiving occasional faxes, so I have no expectation that this old unit is going to handle large volumes.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!

Rich

Problem solved. I had installed a new black ink cartridge. It was a generic cartridge purchased at Office Depot. I exchanged the generic for a 'real' HP cartridge, and it works fine.

Lesson learned!

Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back