Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Office XP Setup running every time program is opened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dodger6

MIS
Aug 13, 2002
US
I'm having a problem with my Office XP setup on the network. All the client computers have the program installed from a fileserver. However once the install is done the users access to the file server is cut. The problem is that when the users move to a new computer (that has already had Office XP installed) when they try to open any Office program (Word, Excel, Outlook, Powerpoint) Office XP tries to access the server to setup the program. How do I get the Office installations to stand on their own without needing files randomly from the server?

All the installations were done with the FULL INSTALL option with every option set to the default. I was hoping this would install every bell and whistle for Office XP like it did in Office 2000 but apparently this is not the case.

I'm stuck, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, but digging out the CD or granting users access to the apps on the server every time they access a program is not working out very well.

Next time you do an install, do a custom install. After you get the screen that asks you where you would like to install the program, you should get another screen asking you which components to install. In this screen, you will click on the first box next to microsoft office and you should get a drop down box. Here, you will select "Run all from my computer."

Check out screen 6 on this page:

Jamor's answer would be correct, however, dodger6 had indicated that he did a full install, so the problem must lie elsewhere.

I have also seen this behavior. What I believe works to solve the problem (though this would be a poor solution for a large site) is to launch each application during the install process while logged on as the user. I have also found that temporarily assigning the user to the Admin group while performing the installation also tends to reduce problems.

My Office 2K used to do that. It was a local & full install. The office app would go ahead & run after I hit cancel. I just put up w/ it for a long time. When I installed Office SP3 the problem went away....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back