Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Office XP Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayscott

IS-IT--Management
Oct 1, 2001
US
HI friday my office xp worked fine. Today when i try to open a file on the network drive in word or excel it opens then stops responding. everything works fine when i do it locally. i only have this problem on the network. I can browse the network fine and all of my database programs work fine over the network. I can copy the file from the network that i want to open to my c:\ drive then open it ( that works fine). but if i try to open it by browsing to it. it opens completely then locks up.

I'm having the same problem. I can read-only the files just fine, but once I open the file over the network, the program locks up, and even ctrl+alt+del won't close excel or word. A hard reboot will be the only thing to clear it. Anyone have an idea on this?

We are having the exact same problem although we have now noticed that Word even locks up when trying to just execute. We dont even get a chance to choose a drive.

In some installations of office on a network, some working directories may be located on a network mapped drive. I suggest if possible contacting your local LAN administrator. If not possible, check to see if working directories are used and see if those drives are still mapped for you and still have the correct share options.

Blue

We have had numerous problems with one of our machines freezing up after MS Word is opened. (in Office 2002 (xp))

After trying several different "fixes" I finally got an answer. (I hope)

go into another office document, I used excel, then click on

- Help
- Detect and Repair
- choose the option to restore default settings
- you will be asked to close excell and you might be prompted to insert the CD.

this seemed to fix my problems, hope it treats you as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back