Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

office vs works suite 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrpibb

IS-IT--Management
Aug 24, 2002
US
I am wondering what the differences are between the MS Word that comes with Works Suite and the one that sells by itself? I'm not talking about the stripped-down word processor that comes with the standard Works package, but Word XP that comes with Works Suite. It appears to be the same as the stand-alone version, but it costs much less, so I'm curious if there's a difference. I have a business client that needs it for basic Word Processing tasks, and needs to share files with others on the network who are using Word XP.

MrPibb, I do believe that it would be safe for his purposes. I don't believe there's MUCH difference, if any. For instance, the default data source for a mail merge in Office XP (Word) is an Access database. I imagine they still use Word as the default data source in the stand-alone.

Frankly, I hate the Works suite myself. I'd just buy Word by itself. Anne Troy

Does the word in works suite support vba macros?

Not sure about the VBA macros thing, but that's not an issue here, anyway. All we need is basic Word Processing and file sharing with other word users. I'm not crazy about Works Suite either, but I can just do a minimal install and then use the Word icon instead of that clumsy "task launcher" or whatever it is. Thanks for the suggestions.

Word included with Works Suite is supposed to be the same as the stand-alone version of Word, not the suite-integrated version of Word that comes with Office. Buying the Works Suite is a cheaper way to get Word than the stand-alone version and I haven't seen any differences yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back