Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Office/VBA Object Model - Learning Resources?

Status
Not open for further replies.

baycolor

MIS
Mar 23, 2005
US
First question:
Does anyone have any recommended (free) sites that do a good job of teaching the object model? Something that starts at the newbie level and advances would be great. More interested in Excel than anything else.
I've Googled and found some stuff but was looking for input from the experts here.

Second question:
Any recommended books (obviously not free)? Again something that starts at the newbie level and advances would be great. Again more interested in Excel.

Thanks

One you can look at is here:
Both the site and the books.

Also, I've found lots of useful info at cpearson.com.

For instance:

Or if you want some cheap, but not free sort of video-based training, I used Learn2.com when I first wanted to get sort of a refresher course in VBA, and "advanced" Office skills. I don't personally think they get really all that advanced, but for introducing yourself to VBA and such, it's not too bad.

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

Also, you can record a macro, do whatever you want to try and code manually, then open the VB editor to see what Excel programmed for you. That has been a really great teaching tool in my opinion.

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

Macro recorder + F2

F2 in the Vis Basic editor launches the object model so you can see all associated properties and methods

Rgds, Geoff

We could learn a lot from crayons. Some are sharp, some are pretty and some are dull. Some have weird names and all are different colours but they all live in the same box.

Please read FAQ222-2244 before you ask a question

F2 does not really launch the object model, it launches Object Browser. Although that is a VERY VERY useful tool, as you can indeed see methods and properties. However, I would not call it a view of the model itself. Here are some Excel resources links from VBAExpress. Sorry, I can not guarantee they are still hot.

Charley Kyd's Excel User

Office 2003 Excel VBA Language Reference

Be sure to check out the links at the bottom of the page of the above.

Bob Phillips xlDynamic

OzGrid's (Dave Hawley) Excel Forum

MrExcel's (Bill Jelen) Excel Forum

Mark Rowlinson

Excel-KB (Dennis Wallentin)

XL-Dennis (Dennis Wallentin)

Kaji (Colo)

Moala

Info (WillR's site)

Excel-It (Roy & Jack's site)

Andrew's Excel Tips

ASAP Utilities