Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Office "corrupt" for one user 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dsully

MIS
Sep 4, 2003
US
My VP has been working on a large power point presentation. I think that due to its size, it has taken "too long" to open and he has forced Power Point to close. Now Power Point will not open completely. The windows opens and toolbars start to take shape, but the window stays blank. I either get prompted that it needs to run in safe mode or that safe mode didn't open properly last time and would I like to run detect and repair. either way the outcome is always the same. When I log in as myself or the admin, everything works fine. I have tried to remove and reinstall Power Point (and Outlook, see below), this did not help. I even went as far as to completely un-install then re-install Office and all its updates. No help. What gets me is that this problem is only for one user.

He is also having trouble with Outlook. His .pst files have gone over the 2 Gig size limit in the past but they currently are under a Gig. Outlook does open but freezes. I get to his default view but cannot click on anything. Sometimes the mouse can be seen moving over the window. Other times I can only see the mouse down on the taskbar. The keyboard is unresponsive also. A complete re-installation did not help this stuation either.

Are there files, registry keys, folders that will remain resident after an un-installation? Any ideas how I can repair this?

David

Users.....not just for breakfast anymore!!

Rename or delete his profile and recreate it by logging as himself.

Member- AAAA Association Against Acronym Abusers

I should mention, you might want to copy favorites and any other needed stuff (such as queries, templates) to another folder first.

Member- AAAA Association Against Acronym Abusers

Thanks xlhelp!

I should have thought of that myself. I guess sometimes the simple solutions aren't always the obvious. I did rename his profile folder and login as him to create a new one. Everything seems fine now. I actaully didn't need to copy the favorites and stuff first. Since he had permission to access that directory before I just browsed to it and started moving everything.

I'll click to give you a star.

David

Users.....not just for breakfast anymore!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back