Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Office Document Image Writer

Status
Not open for further replies.

bradmaunsell

Programmer
May 8, 2001
US
We have a mix of Windows 2000/Office 2000 and Windows XP/Office 2003 workstations. We have a remote XP/2003 site.

Apparently, Windows XP/Office 2003 no longer offers printing to the printer to a local printer at the remote connection location. Bookkeeper logs in from XP/2003 using remote connection. She cannot print to the printer on her local workstation. This worked OK with Windows 2000/office 2000.

However, Office 2003 offers Microsoft Office document Image writer (that seems to be a nice print spooler). She can use this "printer" and then send the report to herself. This solves the problem.

BUT, if an Office 2003 Image Writer document (.mdi) is sent to somebody using WIndows 2000/Office 2000, the document cannot be opened.

Any ideas????

Thanks,
Brad
South Burlington, VT

I think you are out of luck. I have a client with Office XP and they keep getting .MDI files they can't read. It turns out they are from people with Office 2003. According to Microsoft
"File format comparison
While you can open and edit TIFF files created with Office Document Imaging by using many other graphics applications, MDI files can only be opened or edited in Office Document Imaging. If you are going to share files with people who are using Office Document Imaging 2002, or another document imaging program, save your files in TIFF format for compatibility."

Basicly you and I are out of luck.

Stance

From what I noticed there are printing preferences for the image writer driver, under the Advanced tab you can set the default output as a Tif format instead of MDI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back