Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Office closes right after opening

Status
Not open for further replies.

dandy34

MIS
Nov 11, 2005
US
Hello,
I've tried searching for this answer, sorry if it's been covered in detail already.
I have two users that can't get Office to stay open, one is 2003 pro and the other is 2002. They get the popup from Microsoft that Office has encountered a problem and needs to close. Happens with Outlook, Word, Excel and Publisher but only on these users profiles. If I login I can run them all day.
I've made sure all service packs and security updates for Office are installed and still get the problem. As a last resort before wiping the machines I deleted one users profile after copying their My Docs and Outlook pst. I didn't want to use the Files and Settings Transfer in case there was a problem in the profile. Within a day he was having the problem again.
I have Symantec Corporate with daily updates and scans but I feel the problem stems from an email attachment.
Any helpful suggestions would be welcome.
Thanks,
Sam

Have you tried doing this as an admin or another user?

Chances are the profile is corrupted. Renaming the profile and re-creating it might fix the rpoblem

else

Complete uninstal and re-install of office.

Member- AAAA Association Against Acronym Abusers

Thanks for the reply, I sure wish it was that easy. The users are already local admins. I've uninstalled and reinstalled Office, recreated profiles and then just for good measure tried a repair. No go.

Do you have the error log? What does it say about where the error happened?

Member- AAAA Association Against Acronym Abusers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back