Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Office Automation compatability

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiefJoseph

Programmer
Feb 16, 2001
US
Greetings all,

Here is the deal, I'm at a university working on a little project that will allow professors to use a text file that is generated after scantrons are ran, and filter this into a excel spreadsheet(for grades). Now the text file that gets generated is all messed up with missing info and stuff. So I had to write a pretty complex piece of code(at least for me) for data interpolation.

ok, after all that info you didn't need... I was looking at the automation via the MFC class library. The problem is that with all of microsofts updated software they switch there archetecture around.

So do I have to program for all different versions of Office?...(I do understand new office products not being compatible but it seems to me that I shouldn't have to learn how to access Excel 95 cells)

I hope this all makes sense...
Thanks,

ChiefJoseph

Why not just output to CSV, and open that up in Excel? It's much simpler than learning the automation interfaces.

Ok summer school out so now onto my project agian... The CSV file idea worked great but it turns out professors are stupid and need a full functioning program for step by step instructions. I wrote my dada interpolation program in C++ and allthough vb would probably be easier, im thinking I want to stay with c for space reasons.
anyway, I believe the best way to do this is use the MFC lib. The problem is different versions use different .olb files. do I need to write a program that checks for the version that each client is using? Does the .olb lib file I include handle previous versions?...

Thanks

Max

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back