Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Office Apps Lock when clicking on "Look In" box

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddeleaumont

Technical User
Feb 27, 2002
US
Hey all,

I have a user that whenever she clicks on the "look in" box in ANY MS Office XP apps, she gets a "Not Responding" error and has to back out. All other functions seem to work fine but that one. I have tried doing a Repair and even tried upgrading her to Office 2003 which she has now and the problems STILL exists.

Any ideas here other than just blowing out all the registry entries? I'm a lil skiddish about mucking w/ any registry entires that have "Microsoft" dealings with it.

Thanks a million,
Don

"If you want to make a difference, you have to be different. That's the deal."
-Kevn Kinney

Hi, Don

Bit of a long shot, but if the user has disconnected drive mappings it can cause this kind of problem. When office goes to populate the look in box it seems to try to reconnect to any inactive mappings, which can lead to lengthy, including infinite, delays as it times out on each one.

Make sure all drive mappings are available. Delete any pointing to obsolete or non-existent shares.

I sure wish I knew how to disable that "feature".

Jock

"I don't fear computers, I fear the lack of them" - Isaac Asimov.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back