Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Office 365/Exchange POP/IMAP access

Status
Not open for further replies.

uniopp

Technical User
Oct 7, 2001
JP
I am new to Office 365/Exchange Business Premium/Outlook on Mac and I am not sure how to set it up the way I need.

I am currently managing 5 email accounts on my own domain (web hosting control panel). Each user has pop/imap access with their own username and password.
main-user@mydomain
extra-user1@mydomain
extra-user2@mydomain
extra-user3@mydomain
extra-user4@mydomain

I want to setup my main email account (main-user@mydomain) on Office 365/Exchange and access via Outlook (on Mac, PC, iOS, web, etc) keeping all the devices in sync.

The remaining 4 email accounts need to EITHER stay where they are (on my web hosting control panel with no change) OR move over to my Office 365/Exchange account (without purchasing additional user accounts). The condition for a move to Office 365/Exchange MUST be that each of the 4 users retains a mailbox with pop/imap access (without having admin permissions) that can be accessed from any third party mail apps (non Outlook).

Am I able to keep some emails on my web hosting and just take the main email account over to Office 365/Exchange?
If I move the domain over to Office 365/Exchange I think it will take ALL the email addresses with it and I’m not sure if they can then be setup as I described above.

What are your recommendations for moving my main email address to Office 365/Exchange and ensuing that other 4 users can still use and access their own emails on the same domain?

Any suggestions and setup steps to sort this out would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Hi there,
Once you change the DNS MX records to point to 365 all email for yourdomain.com will go there. You could probably buy 1 x license and then create shared (no charge) mailboxes for the other accounts.

People often do that if they have for example info@ or sales@ etc.

Remember- It's nice to be important,
but it's important to be nice :)

Thanks for your reply.
I managed to get it set up using Groups/Shared folder.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back