Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Office 365 Enterprise: Lync works, Outlook cannot connect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ubentobox

Technical User
Apr 22, 2011
US
So I have an oddity at work I cannot explain. One of the users came to me and explained her Outlook 2013 was disconnected for the last 6 hours and couldn't connect. The user is Online, able to use other services such as Lync and SkyDrive, and even the however when attempting to configure Outlook, she receives an error stating that the auto account creation 'could not establish a secure connection to the server'.

As I recently took on the role of Jr. Sys Administrator, I came into an environment where it was mostly unmanaged so older installs like Office 2010 exist but were never configured. My NA suggested it might be the 2010 but I need to wait to uninstall it as the user's workflow will be disrupted for the time being.

Does anyone have any experience with Office 365 Enterprise corrupting a registry to draw from an older version of office when attempting to connect Outlook?

Check on this: open up the Internet Settings/Options from the control panel, go into Advanced and enable the "Use TLS 1.0" option. I know that several of the Office 365 apps sometimes break when that option isn't selected, and this sometimes fixes auth and connection issues.

Dave Shackelford
ThirdTier.net

So USE TLS 1.0 was already enabled but 1.1 and 1.2 were disabled. I am waiting for the user to get back to me but I just had this issue crop up on a second, less troublesome computer with another user. Again with the unable to find a secure connection to the server, and again with everything else works, even their OWA, except for Outlook. This is starting to become some a big issue as Microsoft has little to no support for this issue, they once again assume everything boils down to 3 issues and that their software always works in resolving its own issues.

I have completely cleared the office registry for Office 15.0 and deleted all the OST files. It just simply refuses to connect to the server as if Microsoft turned off their DNS. And our DNS checks out, as I am able to use any other machine using the same internal DNS on our network and they work just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back