Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Office 2010/Win 10 Right click functions/menus not working?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulSc

MIS
Aug 21, 2000
GB
Hi, after a bit of help again please...
I have a Win 10 (Home) setup with Office 2010 professional on it and have started to see a strange issue and wonder if anybodies seen/fixed it please...

It seems to occur in all parts of office (i.e Excel, Access, Word..) and it's that the right click menu (the one with copy/paste/insert etc) doesn't display
It does display the small formatting box but not the bigger one that normally underneath (See attachment)..?

Also whilst all the ribbon bars display/are accessible anything that has a drop down doesn't drop-down(i.e change font/colour etc) .... You see a quick flash of the dialog box then it
dissapears/doesn't work so you cant change any options.

Same goes for autofilters, drop down selections in the options settings etc..

Strange thing though is that if you start Word/Excel/Access etc with Run as Administrator then open the doc/sheet/db these all functions work..

I've tried an Office repair/ uninstalled/reinstalled/ gone back to last restore point, tried the various toolbar reset fixes, uninstalled everything I've put on recently but the behaviours
still the same.. Also tried the excel files on another pc and they run fine there too.

Any ideas please..?
PaulSc

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=2f86bd3c-740e-495c-8338-5fa395645706&file=StrangeOfficeIssue.docx
These might sound like annoying suggestions, but I believe something along these lines will be the only options. My guess is that there is some messed up registry setting that's hanging around even after you did a restore point and/or even after an uninstall and reinstall.

So I'd consider trying these:
[ul][li]Uninstall Office -> Then run a registry / temp files cleanup from CCleaner - do backup the changes to registry in case anything goes wrong. -> Reboot -> Reinstall Office -> Test/check[/li]
[li]Try creating a different Windows User Profile, and trying from that: Basically, just create a new username, then login as that user. You can get fancy with a bunch of steps to eventually replace your current user, but you don't have to get into all that just to try to fix the issue.[/li]
[li]There are registry entries directly relating to the context menus, it appears. You could CAREFULLY take a look in the registry, but don't go changing things b/c it looks right. make sure you do some research before changing anything. Here's an example I found online: (similar but not exact same issue): [/li][/ul]

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

Thanks for the suggestions kjv1611

Ive tried the full uninstall/clean (using ccleaner/ms cleanup)/reboot/reinstall but the same thing happens....

Set up two new profiles (an admin/non admin) and both show the same issue (Though they did work the first time I accessed Excel/Word etc but as soon as anything was saved it started doing it again...)
again start excel/word as admin/open new or existing files and they perform as expected

The tread doesn't seem relevant in my case but thanks for the pointer...

Cheers.

The issue isn't exactly the same in the other thread, but it is related. It could be some buggy issue you're having with the registry.

Another thought is to double check no activation issues. I doubt that's the case, but they could disable some portions of Office when not correctly activated.

Last choice is it might be worth opening a ticket with Microsoft. It seems like a product issue in your scenario.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back