Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Office 2010 and ODBC 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjbennett

MIS
Feb 8, 2005
US
I have a computer that is running Windows 7, 64-bit and Office Pro 2010 (32-bit). There aren't any ODBC's loaded to select for using an Access Database. Is this a Windows problem or an Office problem? And how do I fix it? I have several Access 2000 databases that I need to connect thru ODBC. Thanks.

hi,

How did you determine that?

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

When I bring up the window to connect to a Access ODBC, the only choice is SQL. You select "New" and the only choice is SQL.

In your Windows Control Panel, open Administrative Tools > Data Sources (ODBC)

On the User DSN Tab ADD a Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb, *.accdb)

See if that works for you.

Skip,
[sub]

That is what I mean, when you do that (after you select "ADD") the only thing that shows is "SQL". None of the usual Microsoft programs (Access, Excel), Only "SQL Server".

I read your link, it applies to "Microsoft Office Excel 2003". I'm wondering if there is something different when you go to Office 2010? Because this is Office Pro 2010 it includes "ALL" office programs, so you would think it would have installed "All" the ODBC drivers. It came packaged, and pre-installed, when purchased from Dell.

You might 'ask' Dell.

Skip,
[sub]

Just an FYI....
I got it to work, had to run odbcad32.exe from the C:\Windows\syswow64 folder. I was looking in C:\windows\sys32...

Because you are using the 64 bit version of Windows, it is also trying to use the 64 bit ODBC admin tool. When you install a 32 bit ODBC driver on a 64 bit Windows it doesn’t show up in the Data Sources admin tool because this tool displays only 64 bit drivers.

You can manage a 32 bit ODBC driver on a 64 bit Windows using the 32 bit Data Sources admin tool located here:
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe

64 bit software can’t use 32 bit ODBC drivers. 32 bit software installed on a 64 bit Windows can use 32 bit ODBC drivers.

Lyle
----
Insanity - a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world. -RD Laing, (1927-1989)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back