Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Office 2007 not responding

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrjetta1

IS-IT--Management
May 27, 2009
US
Hi, I've been fighting this off and on for awhile. AFter I start my computer XP SP3 and try to open WOrd,Excell or Outlook I get a not responding error. After about five minutes everything works. I have reinstalled, clean booted, safe mode, al to no help. I have tried many fixes but NG. Any body else happen to reun into something like this. I will mention if I don't restart I can close Word, Excel, etc. no problem. Then reopen no problem.

Do you have any network drives that are not connecting?

Canadian eh! Check out the new social forum Tek-Tips in Canada.
With the state of the world today, monkeys should get grossly insulted when humans claim to be their decendents

Thanks for yuor reply. I just disconnected all network drives and rebooted, same thing.

How are you opening Office applications?

1) Are you double clicking files?

2) Or are you going to Start > All Programs.... (or using shortcut on desktop/quick launch bar)?

Have you tried opening Excel/Word both ways? And, after you have, does it behave the same both ways?

[tt][blue]-John[/blue][/tt]
[tab][red]The plural of anecdote is not data[/red]

Help us help you. Please read FAQ 181-2886 before posting.

I just checked, does not matter where I try to open app from, same results.

Try going into "My Network Places" and deleting any shortcuts in there.

Also, does this happen only with Office 2007 apps or with all apps that you try to open after logging on to your computer?

Hope this helps.

Please help us help you. Read Tek-Tips posting polices before posting.

Canadian members check out Tek-Tips in Canada for socializing, networking, and anything non-technical.

Plugins? Do you have any programs that have plugins tying into office? If so, try disabling/uninstalling them.

Otherwise, are you sure that it isn't a hardware issue showing up b/c of the Office apps? If the Office apps are the most resource-intensive applications you run, that they are causing just enough stress on your system to where Windows is killing the tasks - just a thought for now, anyway.

(This part I'm going off what the head security guy at our company [it's a really big job where I work] once told me in an off-the-cuff discussion when Vista had been out not terribly long. Basically, Vista somehow handled programs in such a way that they did NOT use the same memory space for the same application/instance every time - which was supposed to be better for security - never took much time to really verify this, though seems I have read it in at least one or two online publications).
Also, with Windows XP and prior, applications generally used the same memory locations. So if it's one application that's causing the issues, it could just be you've got a RAM stick that has one bad section of RAM on it, that nothing else (noticeable) seems to touch.

Have a look at Windows Event Logs:
Start Menu, Right-click 'My Computer', Manage, Event Messages, System (on Vista and 7, you'd specify Windows, THEN System)..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back