Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Office 2003 text mangling, big problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwyatt85

MIS
Feb 7, 2005
US
Two seperate and possibly linked problems. The first showed up for the first time a few weeks ago on an employee's machine. When he went to print a word document and picked a printer from the drop down box all the text in his document "mushed together."

The text is all still there, but it basically looks like really short lines of chicken scratch. Interestingly enough, all his other documents did the same thing from that moment on as soon as he opened them. After finding no apparent cause for this we repaired his office installation which fixed the problem...for a day or two. He soon experienced the same problem again as did another employee soon after. Deleting their profiles seems to "reset" the bug, but that hardly seems like an efficient fix.

My second problem exists in the world of powerpoint. I'm putting together a presentation for our student body to show at the graduation ceremony. The presentation is about 32 slides and 3 minutes long. I began working on the powerpoint on my normal workstation but during development i noticed an issue. The characters seem to randomly reposition slightly about 1/3rd of the times the presentation plays. It'll start about half way through and continue to the end. And when I say "reposition" i mean the individual letters will become spaced irradically leading to unreadable lines. Similar to the word issue, but not consistent and slightly different. I even ran the presentation on a laptop and eventually got the same results. (for reference, my workstation has full windows and office patches, the laptop has NONE)

I absolutely cannot have this happen at our graduation in front of 400+ people. And I now have 2 days to work this issue out. Anyone seen this before and know a definate way to fix it?

Hi rwyatt85,

The first issue sounds like a printer driver problem - does it clear if he switches to a different printer?

The second one, I don't know about, sorry!

Enjoy,
Tony

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We want to help you; help us to do it by reading this: Before you ask a question.
Excel VBA Training and more Help at VBAExpress[

I figure it's printer related too, but it can't be fixed by "retracing steps" or anything easy like that. Another quirk about it though, the word issue only seems to affect the default font at it's default size. If i select all and change the font size it looks normal again. Only for that document though, the problems still exists system wide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back