Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Office 2003 problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frodo29

IS-IT--Management
Jan 15, 2002
CH
Hi there,
i have a big problem with my testinstallation of Office 2003 professional on a Windows 2K Server with MetaFrame XPe FR2, all in german.
When you start a Office application after the installation it starts automaticly the customer feedback and places a icon in the systray. But that produces an error in the ica-client and the application will close. The session isn't closed, so if you restart the published app everything seems fine.
I found the key in the registry and added in the mst-file:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\Common]
"QMEnable"=dword:00000000

and

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Office\Common]
"QMEnable"=dword:00000000

If the User is logging in directly at the server console, then the key workes fine, the feedback option is disabled.
But over Citrix it don't work.

Has anybody a solution for that frustrating thing.
Has anybody successfully migrated to office 2003?

Any Help will be greate!!
thanks for your advice.

Ralf

I never had this problem however, Here are some things to look at:

1-Did you install office while in Install Mode?
2-There is a special process to install office on Terminal Server, did you follow that? It may require some special steps.
3-Are you using roaming profiles? What is the user you are using to start the session? Try a user with admin rights.
4-What happens when you launch office through an RDP session?

Maybe you will find the issue while running through these steps. I will be happy to further assist if needed.

to 1:

Yes, i was in install mode. But it restarted the server automatically. So i wasn't able to finish the installation with the command "change user /execute".

to 2:

I created with the office 2003 installation wizard a mst-file and installed it with the transform command:

setup.exe TRANSFORMS="[folderpath]\CWT.MST" /qb-

to 3:

Yes, we use roaming profiles. I tried it with a test user with normal rights. But it doesn't matter wich rights the user has. It also crashes when the user has domain admin rights.

to 4:
if i start a published Desktop or an RDP-Connection this problem doesn't exist. So it is only when i start a published application.

any other ideas?

I have also imported the Office11.adm template file and set there this option like it was written on but doesn't change anything.
I ran a registry-monitor and saw following in the logfile when outlook was starting from a user:

69.00254837, OUTLOOK.EXE:2432, QueryValue HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\Common\QMEnable, NOTFOUND

why a user can't find this registry-key when outlook is started over citrix as published application?

this is really a mess

Frodo:

OK I had this issue except with a different app (Not Office). You may give the user rights to that series of keys through regedt32. This should get rid of the log issue.

Overall, it seems as though there are some security issues. If you can create a user with admin rights and logon to verify this that would be great. You are looking to see if the issue diminishes all together when you log in.

If this is the case then you must tweak security for the registry keys. Let me know what you find when you log in as admin.

Hi gschimenti,

I gave in registry full rights on key:

"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office" and all subkeys with no effect.

"HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Office" and all subkeys with no effect.

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office" and all subkeys with no effect.

I also gave this testuser domain admin rights with no effects

What i've tested is:

- i made a registrydump from that value QMEnable in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\Common
- i started a windows explorer (as published app) from that server and imported that registry dump as the test user
- i closed the windows explorer
- and at least i started outlook and what a wonder:

IT WORKS!

Also the registry monitor said:

69.49549957 OUTLOOK.EXE:1696 QueryValue HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\Common\QMEnable SUCCESS 0x0

Can you explain me that issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back