Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Offer Remote Assistance

Status
Not open for further replies.

amwoolf

IS-IT--Management
Aug 31, 2005
Environment: Windows XP Pro with SP2

Trying to use "Offer Remote Assistance" - have done everything I can find and always get "Permission Denied". Found articles in MS databse (310629, 884910, GP set to permit fw, etc.) referencing this and tried those fixes but they don't work. If the end user requests remote assistance via email (start-remote assistance-invite someone) that works great but I cannot get the Offer Remote Assistance to work.

Anyone have similar problems and have found a fix?

Or is this just broken and MS hasn't fixed it?

Thanks.

If you want a really good *AND FREE* Remote program download the VNC program. This allows you to remote into anyones machine and lets you password protect every machine.

Christopher Abney
There is no limit to the good you can do if you dont care who gets the credit

Might be some help in this thread concerning extra Group policy settings.

offer remote assistance
thread779-911574

To offer remote assistance type the following in the start run box -

hcp://CN=Microsoft%20Corporation,L=Redmond,S=Washington,C=US/Remote%20Assistance/Escalation/unsolicited/unsolicitedrcui.htm

Looked at VNC but, if I am correct, this requires client software on each of the end users' computers. I was trying to avoid having to do that.

Will check out the Start-Run command next time I am in the office on Wednesday. Will advise then.

Thanks.

The command relies on the correct setup in Group Policy, the other link explains this.

got this working by adding my domain account onto the client computer as a local administrator. The only problem with this is that it will require visiting each and every user to add the tech support people domain accounts onto each computer as a local administrator. Is there anyway via a GP to obtain local computer administrator privleges?

OK - it is working but still would like to make it better.

Using MS items 301527, 884910 - this works as long as one of the following conditions are met:

1) Useid of Expert is a local administrator on the local computer,

or

2) Userid of Expert is a Domain Administrator.

I don't like # 1 as this requires visiting every computer to add this local account and I don't really like # 2 as some people who require this remote assistance feature are application support personnel.

But at least it works! Most likely will go with #2.

VNC does not require client software to be installed on the client machine. Only the server machine.

You can use your web browser as the client.

Understand - but I was looking for a remote control solution for tech support personnel to assist end users. Thus I need a small number of computers to be able to control a larger number of computers - desktop computers - not servers. Won't this require sw on each end user computer?I have usd VNC several years ago to use a browser to connect to a server but this is different.

You would have to install the VNC 'server' software on each machine you want to remotely control.

Microsoft has successfully marketed the terms 'server' and 'client' in a confusing space. VNC runs as a service hence, server. Not a 'server' machine that authenticates, runs HTTP, SMTP, etc... although one could use VNC server service on a 'server'.

agreed - that is what I believe I said - sw would need to be installed on each computer I wished to control - thus on all desktops within the organization. Since I don't want to do this, the MS Remote Assistance imbedded within XP is a logical choice. And since I now have it working, and it works reasonably well, might as well use it. Already saved a technician a 40 minute drive to a remote site to fix a problem which was completed in 10-15 minutes using this feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back