Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Offending Operator errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

susieb226

Instructor
May 7, 2004
US
Does anyone know anything about these types of errors. The screen that comes up is:

Can't open the illustration. The illustration ended unexpectedly.
Offending Operator "...."
Context

The ... represents different characters depending on the document I am trying to open. The original file was created in the same version of Illustrator (10). I have looked on the adobe support site and there are only two types of offending operators listed neither of which apply to my file.

To anyone's knowledge is there a site where you can view all the possible error messages for Illustrator? Adobe doesn't seem to have that option.

Thanks!

Several things to try
Move the file to your desktop. This will break any links and could open the file. (corrupt links)
First save the file to the orginal location with a new name.
Then just relink the linked files by clicking on the triangle in the top right corner of the link pallette.
Then resave the file.

Make sure all the linked files are on your computer and the doc also. Especally while working on the file.
Create a file and place all linked files and the doc itself in this file. Then you can move the file from your computer to a server if need be.

Change the file extension.
Change the file extension of the damaged Illustrator file from .ai to .pdf, and then place the file in a new Illustrator file:

It sounds like the file is either damaged in some way or a graphic in the doc is.

good luck

I have had similar issues you are posting. In my situation, it would be newly created art and it would happen to a handful of them at the same time.

Trying to open a file would result in the error you posted (each file had a different offending command), the file would open but with no artwork in the file.

If I knew the internals of the file a little better, I could prob edit it in a text editor and fix. And I knew the file was actually ok, just something was written wrong by Illustrator since I could open them in Acrobat or Freehand.

So my work-around went opening them in freehand them exporting as PDF. All was well after that.

While not everyone has Freehand available, you could see about other programs like Flash or the full version of acrobat.

Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back