Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Off-site plan

Status
Not open for further replies.

shazzam1

MIS
May 25, 2006
US
Any help is appriciated:

Using Brightstore arcserve for windows 11.1
Overland neo 2000 tape drive with 24 tapes

have a 4 media pools

Need to plan so I can take one tape out every week.

Need more info on what your rotation does and why you have 4 media pools.

I need to backup 12 servers. We need full backup for all of the servers to be taken off-site every 2 weeks. Need to have one set kept every six months.

What is your recommendation?

How many tapes are taken offsite every fortnight / 6 monthly?

are the library slots fully occupied and utilised?

Are your media pools custom or GFS enabled jobs?

What sort of capacity are you backing up compared to thye capability of the library?

you can use media management by creating an offsite vault and then specifying the criteria for when tapes need to be shipped offsite / returned to site but i would say this is a bit overkill if this is only done fortnightly and 6 monthly on a couple of tapes.

Im only just starting to get to grips with MM myself. Our contract manages a similar strategy whereas we have an IBM 3584 library with 4 LTO's installed backing up SAN volumes to 4 gfs backup jobs, current slot capacity is 141 but this is due to be expanded, our challenge is to set up daily / weekly and monthly offsite rotations and media management has the ability to generate predictive and result based media reports.

hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back