Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Off-hook 911

Status
Not open for further replies.

GunsNRoses

Technical User
Jun 29, 2005
US
Hello,

I have a 3300 ICP with release 8.0.7.16_2. I have been asked to setup a few phone boothes thoughout our facility. They want the phones inside the boothes to automatically dial 911 when the phone goes off-hook. While I think this is a bad idea, I need to know if/how it can be done and if there is a certain model phone I would have to use.

Thanks in advance,

gnr

You need to use the Associated Directory Number Assignment
form. Set it up as a Hotline. The Associated number would be a speedcall that dials 911. Hotline automatically dials a specified answer point when you go off-hook.

The Help files are somewhat Ambiguous on what type of set you need.

Under the Hotline description it says:
"You can configure any type of single or multi-line phone (ONS, DNIC, or IP Phone) to originate Hotline calls."

But under the Phone/Feature matrix it says:
"Only ONS,OPS, and single-line DNIC sets"

Occam's Razor - All things being equal, the simplest solution is the right one.

I also wanted to say that this is not a good idea. I predict the 911 dispatch will agree.

Occam's Razor - All things being equal, the simplest solution is the right one.

In the USA 911 dispatch will eventually start fining you for 911 false alarms. Setting up 1 or more phones to autodial 911 just by going off hook is a certain recipe for disaster.

I agree MIMB about off-hook to 911. Do you have front desk or security staffs on-site? If so, you can setup Associated Directory Number to ring to front desk or security phone. For our facility, we setup to ring off-hook alarms to front desk console after 60sec,

I appreciate all the input, but I stated in my original post that I too think this is a bad idea. After kwb gave me the how to, I thought about ringing the night guard instead of 911. The ultimate deciscion won't be mine. I'll only be able to make a recommendation.

Bring money on the table. This always work better then any technical arguments. Explain if someone will just knock off the handset from the phone then in 5 to 7 minutes you will have a fire truck and bunch of cops at the front door. And then they will send a nice bill for a false alarm with increasing figures for multiple incidents.

Another option is to put these phones into a glass enclosures with a hummer on the side. "In case of emergency break glass and lift the handset" :)

Breaking the glass will result in a true emergency when the caller sticks his head through the broken window to use the phone and winds up cutting his throat.

Just thinking ahead.

NO GOOD DEED GOES UNPUNISHED!

Why do customers always do that difficult !

RTFM.gif

ACS - Implement IP Office
ACA - Implement IP Telephony -- ACA - Design IP Telephony
ACA - Voice Services Management

It's all about "dealing with the public"

Never-ever underestimate the ability of your customer to have wild hallucinations about the possibility of his phone system being able to propel him to the moon and his expectations that you will happily make it happen at no extra charge.

Indeed all for nothing :)

RTFM.gif

ACS - Implement IP Office
ACA - Implement IP Telephony -- ACA - Design IP Telephony
ACA - Voice Services Management

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back