Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

# of products that make-up 80% of sales?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpandui

Technical User
Nov 30, 2003
I already know that B.O has a ranking feature, but I need an object that would provide the data so that I can obtain a summary list that would show the # of products that constitute 80% of the sales volume for each product line we have in our company. Is there a way to create an object for this?

Create a variable in the report that does a count on the top 80% products.

Unless you return all the products to the report, there really is no way to do what you want at the report level. I don't know what database you are using, but some of the databases (Oracle) will let you do this at the SQL level. If yours does, then you need to build universe objects to mimic this.

If the solution requires that the From statment have a query in it, then you are out of luck.

Steve Krandel
Westbay Solutions

Technically Steve is right on his verdict, but you CAN come very close with some trickery in a report.

Last year I did some reports for our warehouse that were based on the same demand.

I won't go into detail how I did them (would take too much time), but with multiple dataproviders and running sums you can create something workable if not 100% up to specs.

If you need an example drop me a mail........

T. Blom
Information analyst
tbl@shimano-eu.com

Is it really possible ?
Example :

Sales :
product 1 = 20 $
product 2 = 20 $
product 3 = 60 $
Total = 100$

Which products make 80 % of the sales ? P1 and P3, but also
P2 and P3. You can calculate 80% of the total, 80% of a number of products, but all the products making 80% of the total can give multiples results.

Amicalement,
Stéphane

scrobiolle,

Technically you are right, but the '80-20' rule is a statistical principle which should read as:

"For a normal range of products offered a small subselection of the range is responsible for the bulk of the revenue"

This indicates that you line up the products according to their individual revenue which involves a specific order.

Like most statistic things, such rules only work for large enough populations and then again you will find distributions like 90-10 or 70-30 just the same.......

T. Blom
Information analyst
tbl@shimano-eu.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back