Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

# of Open Threads

Status
Not open for further replies.

rushrick

Technical User
Jun 4, 2003
US
Not sure if I am wording this correctly, but...

What is the maximum number of open threads on IIS?

Also, when users access our IIS server and open ASP pages they periodically receive and "Internet Client Error". Does anyone know what could be causing this error?

TIA

Rick

if the asp pages are connecting to an access database you may be exceeding the number of connections allowed via MS Access DB's

could also be part of the source of the pages, like putting a </html> way too far up in a page or something, invalid syntax, loop cycles in an asp script that make sequential sub table structures and never close

best suggestion is to turn off friendly error messages in the browser and see what the real server issued error is

Hey Thanks Drexor.

I will disable the &quot;Freindly Error Messages&quot; and see what turns up. Excellent point which I mised.

You also mentioned the ASP pages excedding a limit, however that ASP pages work with an SQL databes, and on this particular server there are over 200 clients. Could it be then that we are exceding the limits of SQL or IIS. The server(s) are both robust enough to handle the load.

Could it also be that we are exceding thread/process counts or that so many requests are being submitted that the clients are timing?

TIA

Rick

I think it's more likely that your ASP scripts aren't releasing their resources, and if you have 200 users, even on a gig of server memory and 10-minute process lengths, you can get bogged down on memory very quickly. Always remember to set your ASP objects to &quot;nothing&quot; after the script is finished.

For instance, I use an ASP sendmail script using CDONTS on Win2KServer, IIS5, and SMTP. In the following example, I'm using only the object creation and the 'nothing' just to show you what I mean:

Set Mail=Server.CreateObject(&quot;CDONTS.NewMail&quot;)
^=creates CDONTS.NewMail object with name 'Mail'.
Set Mail=nothing
^=after the entire script executes, the 'nothing' option releases the resources the server was using to perform your function. Otherwise, it doesn't release the resources until it's either timed out or it's reached it's max idle time and expires.

Sorry, I may not know all the technical terms, but if it works for me, who cares, right? :eek:)

-Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back